12:55 PM

idols of my heart

Posted by hosanna |

Light from the Heart Nebula
Credit & Copyright:
Matt Russell

I laid in bed the other night so upset. 'Why does God allow me to desire 'good' things and not fulfill that desire?' 'What's the point?' I finally had to push those thoughts aside so I could go to sleep. But the next day, as God so faithfully does, showed me that it wasn't Him being cruel but rather that I was turning something 'good' into an idol of MY heart. I decided that this 'good' was what I needed to be satisfied. And since God wasn't giving it to me, He must not really be good to ME. (Now, I know in my head that isn't true, but my attitude was showing the opposite).
The next day, as I sat at my desk and started working, I turned on Tim Keller's message from the Gospel Coalition Conference titled, The Grand Demythologizer: The Gospel and Idolatry.
His message was about idols of the soul. As I listened, God showed me that I had turned the good desire from God into an idol. In Tim's message, he defines religious idols as the 'good' desires/passions, burdens that God has put on our heart that we elevate above God by looking to them for our salvation, satisfaction, value, significance. And this is what I had done.

Lord, may we be quick to see the idols of our heart. But may we be even quicker to lift our eyes to You, the only One who can bring salvation and satisfy us.

0 comments: