I recently read a book review for Feelings & Faith by Brian Borgman and was hit by this question and response:
How does right feeling relate to right thinking?
Right thinking is key to right feeling. Right thinking is the starting point for emotional vitality. For instance, we will be a real mess if we have wrong thoughts about God. We can actually throw ourselves into an emotional vortex if we perceive God as vindictive, capricious, angry, unkind or cruel. Although this sounds extreme, many Christians think that although God may be good, He is not good to them. Another example would be incorrectly thinking about salvation. There is a direct connection with anxiety, unfounded fear, or arrogance and works-righteousness. Incorrect thinking about what this life is supposed to be like can also throw us into despair. If I really believe that God's plan for me is my best life now in terms of health, prosperity and temporal happiness, then I am setting myself for despair, distress and and weakening faith, especially when trials come. On the other hand, there is tremendous emotional equilibrium that comes with right thinking. Right thoughts about God, who He is and what He is like, are an anchor for our lives. A great example of this is found in Psalm 16:8-9. Right thinking about the work of Christ and His full salvation can bring us rest, peace and joy. Properly thinking about our struggles in this life and God's purposes in them can spare us from worry or disappointment. So one of the important pieces of our sanctification is the renewing of our minds with God's truth and having our emotions shaped by that truth. Feelings and Faith is filled with Scripture texts that make these points.
Just last night I was talking to a friend of mine and saying how I wish I didn't have to deal with emotions. Wouldn't it be easier to just know the facts and be able to respond from there versus having to fight through my emotions behind it? Within this short paragraph, I was challenged that it isn't the emotions that are wrong but my thinking that leads to them. Am I viewing God correctly and if so, are my emotions mirroring that? If not, what does Scripture say about God and how do I need to change the way I am thinking about this situation.
It is so funny how often I wish I could make my Christian walk black and white. Have it all one way or not at all. But again and again, God reminds me that our walk is a battle, a process. And it is through this that we draw close to Him and are sanctified. It is not easy but it is worth it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
...my tweets...
...about me...
still under construction
...blogs...
...categories...
- A Quest for More (1)
- Africa (6)
- art (2)
- Book Review (2)
- family (2)
- funny (4)
- good friday (1)
- life (24)
- music (3)
- Office (1)
- photo (1)
- quote (2)
- scotland adventure (13)
- Singleness (2)
- stories (2)
- travels (1)
- Unfashionable (2)
- vacation (1)
- vlog episode (1)
- work (1)
- writings (1)


0 comments:
Post a Comment