Yesterday, Diane and I sat and over morning coffee discussed the goings-on in life and her vacation . And in the midst of our conversation, she shared a story of a young couple. And how this gal decided to let God write her love story and that He did. The story of the two meeting was cute but what really stuck out to me was the line, "let God write your story."
I remember when I was in high school and my girlfriends and I made a list of qualities/characteristics we wanted in a husband:
-loved God
-able to dance
-tall
-dark hair
-funny
-outgoing
and
on
and
on...
Now, for young ladies, I do think there is value in making a list to help from straying from a godly man. But as I have gotten older, my list of vain qualities have changed. I realize that 'being able to get jiggy on the dance floor' or 'perform a stand up comedy routine' is not what is important. Or for that matter, being tall...now really?! As long as he is over the age of 10, I think I am safe that he'll be taller than me ;)
However, being 30 (WOW, I can't believe I just said it...30!), I find that although I might not have a specific list of certain qualities, I do still try to help God (all for His sake of course).
'God, if my future husband could have a heart for the poor and needy, perhaps we could live and serve in Africa or God, we could live in the midst of an inner city and open our home to those in need, etc...'
When will I realize that I don't have to have it all figured out. God has promised not to withhold anything good from His children (Ps. 84:11) and if marriage is in store for me, I can fully trust my loving Father. He created me, for crying out loud...do I not think that His choice for a husband will be best?!
This is one more layer of my unbelief that I see God working through in me...so as the layer is peeled back, I am putting down my paper and pencil and allowing God to write the rest of the story.



3 comments:
Great post, friend! I've been praying for your story for quite some time and I know God has an amazing plan!
I actually found an old journal the other day that I had a similar list in and was laughing at how unlike Tyler my "qualifications" were. (Except tall...God, being so kind and knowing my love for 3 inch heels, gave me that one!) But anyway, he is so much better for me than I ever could have dreamed up! God really knows best--even when you marry the last person you ever expected!
Not sure if you saw it, but what you wrote relates to a post that Carolyn McCulley wrote a few days ago, highlighting another article. I think it would be very beneficial for you and any readers relating to your situation. Check it out!
http://solofemininity.blogs.com/posts/2009/06/youve-got-lies-chick-flicks-and-the-worlds-approach-to-men-and-marriage-.html
oh my Zana friend...I feel with you as I have been right where you are. I too made several lists and the fun thing about it is when I met Torrey, I never took the lists out because I forgot about them, but I found them after I was married and God matched me up with what I desired in Godly qualities, but he also did some of the vain things too - straight teeth, TALL, dirve a truck (which is funny because now I wish he didn't have one as they are EXPENSIVE to have.)
God has a plan my wonderful and beautiful friend and I know how it feels to sit there and feel that he overlooked you, but really really enjoy your season. Marriage is wonderful and filled with moments to be sanctified, but because of that, it isn't easy either.
Take this time to enjoy Him, learn what you can about how to be a wife, mother, friend, keeper of the home, accountant, frugal shopper, meal planner and so much more. It will all be valuable and appreciated by the spouse God has in mind for you.
Love you so much...and I am praying for you.
Post a Comment