11:54 PM

Wrestling Passion

Posted by hosanna |


Ever since I was young I have wanted to work with orphaned children. It started with a desire to working with inner city kids and now has grown to a passion to work with abandoned children in Africa.

I am unsure how this passion is going to play its role in my life but I want to be faithful and ready, if God says, 'GO!'

In the meantime, I feel like I am stuck in a suburban mold. Content with the mediocrity.

I was reading Kierkegaard last weekend, and was compelled by what he said:
"Reflection is not the evil, but a reflective condition and the deadlock which it involves, by transforming the capacity for action into a means of escape from action, is both corrupt and dangerous, and leads in the end to a retrograde movement."

Do I use contemplation as a crutch? Am I slow to act because I fear stepping out in faith?

If and when God says GO, I want to be found faithful in my life now. I do not want my life to be on hold until Africa. But I want to live now reaching out, laying down my life for Christ...but it is so hard.

Christ's way of living is often referred to as the up-side-down kingdom, where the first is last and the last first. I wonder if the truly blessed are those who don't have the conveniences and riches of America. Does this cloud my view and stiffle my walk with Christ?

'It is harder for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven than for a camel to go through the eye of a needle.'

How do you break out of the comforts of everyday life, lay down your life and truly live for Christ?

Lord, I cannot begin to comprehend what a life lived out for you looks like. But may you open my eyes and transform my life into one who is living it up-side-down. The seed has to die before much fruit can bear, so take my life and live through me.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Great post Hosanna. I think you hit a point when you speak of not wanting to be stuck, or in a holding pattern, or waiting for the word "go", or using contemplation as a crutch (ok, maybe some of those words were mine). At least, I struggle with these things.

I think the night we met I might have shared some of this with you but I realized that I had been waiting for clear instructions from God (like a letter in the mail) so I could act on the desires he'd given me. Then through a series of events & wise counsel, I came to the conclusion that sometimes God makes it super obvious and sometimes, esp as we become more mature in our faith, we need to act on what he has given us. To take step of faith. At least with me that was the case.

I don't know much of your options or desires or opportunities, however, I would encourage you to start an active pursuit of seeing them to fruition. Who knows where it will lead. At the least, you're sure to better know your Savior through the process. But, hey, who knows, maybe you'll be in Africa this time next year and posting pictures of your beloved orphaned children?!?!

Either way, I am encouraged by the weight of your desires and conviction. Thank you.

Mindy said...

thanks for the post. I found it encouraging to hear what God's been showing you and what you are learning while waiting on him. I too, as you know, feel a call to help orphans in Africa but now as God has called me to marriage, I'm not sure what thats supposed to look like (since I can't just pick up and go live there anymore-i think ty would miss me!;-)) so i appreciate hearing whats been going through your head.

Who did the painting? Its from the pic you took-right? Love it!

hosanna said...

Michelle
Thanks you so much for your encouragement. I so appreciate your heart as you share, it has spurred me on. May we continue to do it for each other and I can't wait to see all that God has in store for each of us!

hosanna said...

Mindy
It is my pic from Africa and I painted it...I decided to try something new. How is married life treating you?

Mindy said...

Wow...you have all these hidden talents that you keep revealing! ;-) Married life is great--it's so fun to have Ty with me all the time and to come home from work and know that we get to spend every evening together, trying to eat the food I cook!

Beyond Words said...

I shouldn't make comments this late at night :) This may not make sense.

I am praying for you every day--and I am confident God will show you the next step in due time. He is slowly showing me some things I can do to be faithful while I wait on him, and there is real joy in that.

The painting is amazing.