11:36 AM

"Be Self-Controlled"

Posted by hosanna |

This morning, I read an article by Carolyn McCulley titled, "Single and Fully Feminine." Within the article she talked about various ways single women can embrace femininity and God's role for them while being single. Within the article, one section stuck out to me and it was on self-control and our minds. Specifically, she challenges single women to revisit how they think about guys...

"One specific way I do this is by “trying on” men in my mind. Judging from the conversations I have had with many single women, this is a common temptation. We tend to meet godly, attractive single men and immediately head down the path toward marriage, imagining what it would be like to court and wed this man. Having convinced ourselves that this is a possibility, we then read into his every move while hashing and re-hashing each scenario with the “girlfriend network.” A good friend of mine calls this “dating in my mind” - a priceless phrase! To exercise self-control in this area as single women is to put reasonable limits on the journaling and girlfriend conversations we have about our romantic interests. Talk has a way of making a desire an expectation, which eventually becomes a demand. In my life, I have found that I head into trouble when I record at length in my journal every interaction I have with a single man or when I am discussing this man with a broad range of friends. For me, self-control is to limit these detailed conversations to my accountability partners and to those over me in the Lord, such as my small group leader and his wife or my pastor and his wife. They know how I am weak, and they prayerfully encourage me to keep my focus where it belongs".

I know for me, my mind is one of my biggest areas of struggle. I can so easily justify my thoughts, rationalize why dwelling on 'Joe' is OK, or begin to plot how I can manipulate situations (just helping God out, right?!). However, one little thought can snow ball and the next thing I know I am down a path of self-pity and lies. Since listening to Tim Keller's message on idols, God has challenged me to take "every thoughts captive" (2 Cor. 10:5). And one way for me to do this, is by asking myself questions: What occupies most of my thoughts?; If it is not God honoring, what do I think I am going to achieve from dwelling on it?; Do my thoughts stand up to Scripture or am I believing a lie?; If I am believing a lie, what specific scripture combats this lie?

Today be encouraged that God is at work in you, and ask what occupies your thoughts?

4 comments:

sebsjourneys said...

Good article. I also love your fonts on your sidebar. Sassy!

Lauren said...

I love seeing God working in your heart. It's so encouraging to see you really trying to be godly in all areas, especially those of struggle. Even as a married woman, that was so encouraging! Thanks!

volleyball said...

Can't wait to discuss Joe.

hosanna said...

I'll tell you ALL about him tonight!