Monday was the first day of Camp Hope. As we pulled into Chongwe, a large crowd of village children had already gathered. Hundred of kids standing outside the camp wearing their Sunday best. Each child eager to be a part of a camp that, Lord willing, will change their lives.
The first day was a hard day to watch. After breakfast, each child lined up to be registered. Due to resources, both monetarily and leadership, only kids who have never attended a camp before or have been orphaned and/or neglected are able to attend. After hours of checking the registration list their were 20 kids left who had to be sent home, because they had attended before or were not registered, which is done through a church or school. Hopeful to turned to despair on these little faces. Upon receiving the news that they were not able to attend, they separated from the other kids and walked up the hill. It wasn't until later that I realized the kids didn't go home but stopped at the top of the hill and watched.
As heartbreaking as this was, much rejoicing was being carried on around us from kids who are the registered campers...2 meals, t-shirt, stories and lots of LOVE!
More to come later but I am tired and need to go to bed to be ready for tomorrow. But I did upload lots of pics on fb.
I can't believe that I only have 2 days left. I leave Saturday morning to start my trek back home.
Much love and I'll post again soon!
h
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
...my tweets...
...about me...
still under construction
...blogs...
...categories...
- A Quest for More (1)
- Africa (6)
- art (2)
- Book Review (2)
- family (2)
- funny (4)
- good friday (1)
- life (24)
- music (3)
- Office (1)
- photo (1)
- quote (2)
- scotland adventure (13)
- Singleness (2)
- stories (2)
- travels (1)
- Unfashionable (2)
- vacation (1)
- vlog episode (1)
- work (1)
- writings (1)


0 comments:
Post a Comment