2:24 PM

Long night in Chongwe & Letters with Tears

Posted by hosanna |

Last night, the interns, EOH staff and myself stayed in Chongwe, which is 45 minutes outside of Lusaka.  In Chongwe, there are 4 My Father's Houses and is also the location of the first Camp Hope.

Each one of us was partnered with a home and a mama.  I stayed with mama Anna.  We snuggled into a full sized bed with the 8 kids in the room across from us.  Although, I don't usually sleep well in a new place this night, although peaceful was no different.  However, it was sweeter knowing that I got to share a part of their daily lives with them.

The morning started early with worship.  Each house has family devotions/worship in the morning, usually at 5.  However, this morning started at 4:30.  As you all know, I am no morning person.  But this morning was different.  Waking up to children singing to the Lord with all their might made getting up with only 2 hours of sleep worth it.  After worship, the children and mamas them go into morning devotions and prayer.  (When I am back in the States and can upload videos I will show you...it will change you!)

So much more to share but I only have a little battery left tonight and I want to share with you about sharing the letters Grace Church wrote to the mamas and orphans.  With Camp Hope beginning tomorrow, the rest of my week will be spent primarily in Chongwe, leaving only today to deliver the notes to the My Father's Houses in Lusaka.

Kim, Paul and I pulled up to one of the homes, where unbeknown to us all 4 Lusaka homes were gathered for a Sunday evening Bible study.  This gave us a perfect opportunity to share with the mamas and orphans that a church in the States was praying for them and had written them letters.  One by one I handed them out.  Each child receiving their special note with huge smiles.  There was one person in particular who broke my heart, Mama Josephine.

I handed her her note and as she opened it Kim asked if I could read it to her, since she cannot read English.  So I opened the letter and began to read.  With each line read Mama Josephine was touched and by the end her face was in her hands crying.  She was so overwhelmed by the kindness and thoughtfulness of the letter.  I could not help but cry with her.  As she dried her tears, she sat up and gave me a hug and didn't let go.  Her tears began to flow again.

Thank you.  Thank you, Grace Church for taking the time to write to each person.  Your notes mean more than you could ever imagine.  I wish I could bring Mama Josephine to you, so that you could experience her extreme appreciation and love.

Ok...the night is getting away from me and my battery is about ready to die.  It is taking too long to upload pics to my blog.  So, I am picking a few and putting them on facebook.

Thank you for all your prayers.  I am feeling each one.  I am loving it here and am falling more and more in love with the Zambian people.  They are beautiful and have hearts for the Lord that I cannot describe.

Please continue to pray for me this week.  Camp Hope is starting so we will be on a crazy schedule with little sleep.  Camp Hope is where the orphans from the community (not the homes) come for a 5 day Bible Camp.  They get meals and get to hear the gospel.  Please pray for strength and most importantly salvation of these little souls.

Much love,
h

2 comments:

erin said...

Now I'm tearing up, too. Thanks for the updates. We will keep praying for you!

Michelle said...

Oh how I wish I could be there with you and get to know all the wonderful mamas and kids! Rejoicing that you are there and praying for supernatural energy and strength to make it through the full week! Praise God for what He is doing in Zambia!