10:24 PM

new title

Posted by hosanna |

"As I went down from the present peak into the valley between the mountains, I was often shadowed by the very peak I had been enjoying.  This I interpreted in a sense of failure and this often led to despair.  I felt I as going down into the 'slough of despond'.  I see now that I was wrong in this feeling.  The going down was merely an initial moving forward towards the next higher ground, never a going back to base level.  The shadow was only relative after the brightness of the sun; the valley could provide rest for working out our experiences  previously learnt, a time for refreshment before the next hard climb.  Had I understood this meaning of the sunshine and shadow in my life rather than interpreting any experiences along life's way as up and down, I might have saved myself many deep heartaches."  

-Helen Roseveare (missionary to Africa)

I have been so discouraged as of late.  As I read through Job, I find myself saying, 'amen, brother' as Job expresses his lack of understanding and frustration of the silence from God.  As I finished Job, God gently corrected me, as Job was corrected at the end of the book.  Who am I to question God's chosen path for me?  It is ultimately Job's lack of knowledge of God that causes him to lose sight of who God is.  I too have lost sight and have fallen into despair.  Feeling forgotten by the One who is never to leave me or forsake me.  I have spoken about God without knowledge of Him.  God has not forsaken me in this valley where the shadow lies.  I have forgotten that He is my loving Father.  He has a purpose and in each shadow filled valley God is brining me closer to Him.

This weekend God reminded me afresh that my purpose in life is not to go to Africa, but to know Him.

6 comments:

Nettester71 said...

hosanna, I am always so encouraged at your transparency during hard times. God continues to reveal Himself to you and many around you continue to pray that you will have fulfillment in Him.

Diane said...

Have you listen to Helen Roseveare's message on the Perseverance of the Saints from the Desiring God conference last year? It might be helpful.

hosanna said...

thanks, lynette, for your encouragement and di, i will look into that message, it sounds great!

Diane said...

I have it if you want it. Do you want to listen together?

hosanna said...

that sounds great.

Anonymous said...

That was really encouraging Hosanna. Thanks for the reminder. Tony and I too are reading through the Bible and just finished Job. I love at the end how you really see God's faithfulness and how he never left Job's side.